As entrepreneurs, we need to speak in front of prospects and clients. The more confident you are in public speaking, the faster you can grow your business.
Are you confident enough with public speaking to take your business to the next level? If you’re like most people, you probably are not. The following quotes from successful entrepreneurs will inspire you to become a better speaker.
- “We all have a life story and a message that can inspire others to live a better life or run a better business. Why not use that story and message to serve others and grow a real business doing it?” – Brendon Burchard
- “You are not being judged, the value of what you are bringing to the audience is being judged.” – Seth Godin
- “Every single person needs to breathe in through their nose, fill up their tummy as if the air was going in there, and then only speak while their stomach is coming in.” – Roger Love
- “Simple and to the point is always the best way to get your point across.” – Guy Kawasaki
- “The first time you say something, it’s heard; the second time, it’s recognized; the third time, it’s learned.” – John Maxwell
- “More present moment engagement = less crappy thoughts.” – Marie Forleo
- “It’s what you practice in private that you will be rewarded for in public.” – Tony Robbins
- “Only the prepared speaker deserves to be confident.” – Dale Carnegie
- “The first 30 seconds and the last 30 seconds have the most impact in a presentation.” – Patricia Fripp
- “My best advice is to not start in PowerPoint. Presentation tools force you to think through information linearly, and you really need to start by thinking of the whole instead of the individual lines.” – Nancy Duarte
- “Humans are completely incapable of reading and comprehending text on a screen and listening to a speaker at the same time. Therefore, lots of text (almost any text!), and long, complete sentences are bad, Bad, BAD.” – Garr Reynolds
- “If you want to connect, you must let them reflect.” – Darren Lacroix
- “Speak like you talk, not like you write.” – Craig Valentine
- “The worst speech you’ll ever give, will be far better than the one you never give.” – Fred Miller
- “You don’t have to change who you are, you have to become more of who you are.” – Sally Hogshead
- “If you don’t want to preach, put stories in your speech.” – Andy Harrington
- “Your ability to communicate with others will account for fully 85% of your success in your business and in your life.” – Brian Tracy
- “The single most important skill you must have to lead is the ability to tell your own story.” – Bo Eason
- “Funny people aren’t funny because funny things happen to us. We’re funny because we take the tragedy that happens to us, and turn it into comedy.” – Judy Carter
- “The only reason to give a speech is to change the world.” – Nick Morgan
- “When you’re rehearing, just focus on giving the speech, and then look at the video. You really cannot give a speech and be critiquing it at the same time.” – TJ Walker
- “Audience interaction should be proportional to the amount of trust you’ve earned.” – Michael Port
- “Picture yourself in a living room having a chat with your friends. You would be relaxed and comfortable talking to them, the same applies when public speaking.” – Richard Branson
There you have it: centuries of public speaking wisdom in one post. Read these inspiring quotes regularly, apply these tips and become a better speaker.
What’s your favourite quote on public speaking? Please share it in the comments section below.